Wednesday 12 October 2011

The Big Box Lesson In...Autotomy!

Heeey folks! I would like to start of todays Box Blog with a lesson!! A lesson in autotomy which alot of you animal owners may not be aware of!


Autotomy is greek for 'self severing'. Baaaaasically it is self amputation or mutilation or whatever you cheery folks like to call it. You'll find that alot of lizards and many rodent will under go autotomy. This occurs if a predator attacks the animal and grabs it by it's tail, it is able to detach its tail and run away. Though this can be painful for the prey animal, its alot better then death and it allows time for the little lizard or gerbil to run away and hide.

Some animals that can undego autotomy when in danger are
Geckos, Skinks, Salamanders, Spiders, Octopi, Lobsters, Crabs, Starfish, Gerbils, Degus
BEWARE NOT TO GRAB THEIR TAILS OR TENTICLES OR LEGS!!!!!!

I'm telling you this because this is something i recently learned last year in my animal handling class and it is something thats been popping up more and more. I know why because im on an Level 3 Extended Diploma so i must know everything there is to know about animals (because nobody seems to have a clue what google is).

I'm all for helping people with there animal issues and I'm not saying I'm an expert. I've owned degus and gerbils and it's something I've been aware about since i was little. I've never known the correct termology for it but if you pull on a degus tail and it comes off then you dont do it again (my dad learnt that lesson). I just wanted to share that with you guys just so when you come to handling an animal like that you know not to grab it's tail. This is where that big headed cow i mentioned in the last post starts to appear! lmao

There you go you're lesson is now over!! A bit breif really but you should get the idea.

Now off the subject of Autotomy as much of a lovely subject as it may be. This week has been a week of interest to say the least. I am once again ill and i am no longer a vampire! (ate some garlic last night, lost my vampire and ninjanus) On the bright side i am now a pirate and possibly a werewolf! atleast one of the two is true. Naah in all fairness though this week been interesting. I haven't been in college for two days basically because I'm ill and i don't fancy being sick in the middle of college, so I've been sat in bed watching DVD's and eating cockels (that is the only food i can keep down, not eating them outta choice) and trying to get some energy back.

I don't sleep and i am an insomniac so when i should be resting, getting some energy and getting better i can't do that. I blame soicety and my best friend! Just because i can really. It's always so much fun being Caitlyn.

I have a picture to show you, unedited and extremely raw and blurry but i figured you'd love it! (it's not a vampire or pirate or a werewolf! It's something more terrifying!)


OH MY GOD!!! A DAY GECKO!
Aren't you terrified? That look, that look of utter horror and evil!

This has swiftly become a favourite picture of mine! Just that dopey expression really. He is a pretty cool fellow and just so you're all aware...You pull on his tail! he will lose it, run away and you will never see him again!

I don't care how bad this picture maybe, quality to wise, it's a beauty and if it hasn't made you smile then you're the evil one.







These little monsters are the long awaited photos of the kittens, they are more terrifying then your worst fears! Don't let thoughs cute little expression decieve you! They're evil! More evil then the gecko!


 

Loki is the black and white one as you all know and if you read back a couple of blogs you will remember that we couldn't find a name for the tabby cat.
His name is now Steve! Theres a story behind that, but i shall save that for a rainy day.

Love them, Fear them and now run away, because these little cute fluff balls are utter evil! They work as a team to make everyday task as difficult as possible! Like making a cuppa tea, as soon as they hear the kettle boiling they're straight on the counter.

Well, i guess i'm not back into the swing of things but i like to think you got two lovely photos and a lesson you will never forget!

Ill probably write a better blog later on in the week! For now though.
Toodle Pip my lovelys!

No comments:

Post a Comment